Caleb is all boy, just for the record. He loves to wrestle, play with balls, collect sticks and rocks, throw everything in sight, he pays little attention to detail...sound about right for a boy? So with that being said, on occasion he is very interested in the girl things that I do. Can you blame him, it's fun being a girl. We get to do all kinds of fun things and we get all kinds of attention for looking pretty, twirling in dresses, flipping our hair and having a shoes collection that could fill a whole house.
Caleb likes to paint his toe nails. Once again, can you blame him? It's not ok to color on your clothes, you can't on your body, don't, don't, don't, but you CAN paint your toe nails. Enticing? I'd say so. But Paul hates it, "he's a boy and boys shouldn't have painted toe nails!" We've had the discussion many times both with each other and with Caleb. It's hard, I don't mind it, he's 3 not 13. It's temporary and he's curious. He's not going to be gay just because I let him paint his toe nails every once in a while.
This morning Caleb noticed I had painted my toe nails last night after he went to bed. He REALLY wanted to paint his. Paul said no, and I did my best to support that. But you should have seen Caleb's face! He was so sad, a frown across his face and he almost burst into tears but was trying to be tough.
I was still in bed when Caleb came in a few minutes later whispering and holding a bottle of polish, (mind you he had to climb up the toilet, then the bathroom sink to get that polish out of the cupboard)
"Mom! I sneaked and got this so daddy won't see. Can we do it!?"
HAHA I laughed and his face was lit up with excitement!
Alas, we convinced Paul to allow it as long as Caleb doesn't wear his sandals while it's on his toes. At least he chose blue over pink right?
YOLOstone
13 years ago

Ha ha! Oh, what a deviously lovable kid you have there! Playing dress up (including nail polish) is such a fun thing to do. Besides, this means he know what "pretty" things are, and who doesn't like looking good!
ReplyDeleteThis story makes me smile. On Sunday I noticed that one Sunbeam (who can't keep his shoes on during sacrament) walked by me with green polish on his shoes. I asked who did it, and he said he wanted it. Yep, he wanted his toes painted green. His reasoning? The Hulk was green.
Perfectly reasonable to a 3 yr old right!
PS Gender specifics aren't going to become clear for another 2 years. By five they start understanding girl things vs boy things. Until then, everyone is just a toddler.
:) Psst, I've got a closet full of polish...watch out when I babysit.