Grace Clark had a graceful entrance into this world. On January 26,
2013 Grace was born at 11:00pm within the walls of our home and into the
arms of her loving family.
I began having contractions
Saturday afternoon but wasn't sure if it was real labor. Of course
being 2 days past my due date it seems I could've guess it was REAL
labor, but I didn't want to get myself, Paul, Grandma and Aunt Shanlee
too excited if it wasn't really happening. So I kept the contractions to
myself until about 5:00 when they seemed to be more intense and
consistent. We had friends coming over for dinner at 5:30 and I debated
weather to cancel but decided not too. With friends over it would
distract us all from just staring at me having contractions. By the time
our friends left at 8:00 contractions were painful and hard to talk
through. It was time to "get in the zone" and start focusing through
these with the help of my supporters. We gave a phone call to Beth (my
midwife) to give her a heads-up I was in labor and she said she'd wait
for another call when I was ready to go to the Birth Center.
Paul
got our final things packed and took Caleb to the sitters as Shanlee
rubbed my back and timed contractions. I was doing great and once the
contraction was over I could pick right back up in the conversation. I
took a nice long shower where contractions started to pick up again.
Once I was dressed in my ghastly nightgown I got to labor in I laid on
the couch to focus through contractions...I didn't move from that
position until well after Grace was born.
For about 2
hours Paul rubbed my back and talked my through contractions. I felt we
really worked well together this time around. He helped me remember to
relax between contractions and focus on breathing. His hands got tired
and he tagged Shanlee and my mom to come rub my back. It was then that
contractions got rough. My body began shaking uncontrollably. I
remembered this happening with Caleb and I was only dialated to 5cm. So I
didn't want to let myself think I was furthur along that I really was.
Mom kept saying, "I think we need to call Beth. These contractions are
getting really intense for her." I didn't think I was that far in labor,
but I did know I couldn't have done labor like that much longer. I
finally agreed they could call her. Paul gave Beth a call and they
agreed it would be best for Beth to come to our house to check my
dilation before going to the Birth Center. Beth lives only about 5
minutes away from our home...and she didn't make it to the birth.
Within
minutes I went from hard contractions to really hard contractions and
then the need to push. I suddenly had 2 contractions right on top of
each other and felt Grace drop into the birth canal. I told everyone, "I
need to push!"
"No! Beth isn't here yet! Don't push Amelia, you've got to wait. Pant. Pant." my mom said.
I
tried to pant but the urge to push was too much, I couldn't stop it.
Grace was crowning and someone was going to have to help me deliver her.
My mom jumped onto the couch but realized she need to wash her hands
before delivering a baby so ran to the kitchen. Shanlee then stepped up
to the plate just in time to catch Grace's head coming out. I heard a
small gasp for breath and saw my sweet baby's face for the first time.
One more push and she was out and in my arms.
Shanlee
was a champ. It was no coincidence that Shanlee was the one to catch
Grace and help me bring her into this world. I believe they will always
have a special bond. She'd remember from 13 years prior a class she'd
taken in preparation to see my mom give birth to our youngest brother
that once the head of the baby is out you then rotate the baby every so
slightly to help ease the shoulders and body out. Great job Shanlee!
Beth
arrived less than 2 minutes after Grace was born and finished the job.
Thank goodness we didn't get in the car to go to the birth center. I
would have had a baby in the car and in the freezing cold, single digit
weather of New Hampshire.
Grace was 7lbs. 2oz. and 19
1/2 inches long. Much smaller than Caleb. She is perfect. This birth
experience was unexpected and wonderful. I am so thankful for the health
and ability of both our bodies in this beautiful process of birth. What
a blessing it is to have a new fresh infant in our family. Giving birth
to a baby is the most precious experiences I've had. In the moments of
most pain is also the most joy and euphoria you could have. I believe at
birth the veil thins ever so slightly and angels guide us through as we
bring one of God's angels into this world. That's what Grace is-an
angel.
This is beautifully written. It made me tear up. Thank you for letting me part of such a sweet moment.
ReplyDeletehow wonderful, congrats she is a beautiful baby
ReplyDelete