...life can be tough.
I guess New Hampshire, is famous for Maple Syrup. Yesterday was the open house for all Maple Sugar Houses in New Hampshire. We choose to go to the one that listed the most FREE food online, and it was a good choice. (Hey we're a student family, what can I say, FREE is what keeps us alive.) We went on a tractor ride, which Caleb loved! He kept saying "whoa, bumpy ride, whoa!" or screaming, "Tractor!!!"
We ate and ate and ate. They had maple flavored hot dogs, popcorn, and chili. As well as hot chocolate and doughnut holes. And my favorite was a homemade buscuit covered in maple syrup. After eating that I HAD to have a pint of pure maple syrup to take home. Back in the Fall Paul and I bought some pure maple syrup from an apple orchard store but we didn't really like it. I have higher hopes for the pint sitting in our cupboard. Apparently it's a sin to eat store bought maple syrup here. Oops.
Lately Caleb has been into guitars. They had a live band at the Maple Sugar House and Caleb only left the music for a tractor ride, then went straight back to the band when that was over. He danced, rocked out, and pretended to strum his own guitar. I know what we're getting him for his birthday.
It was pretty interesting learning a little about Maple and how it's extracted from the trees. I kept thinking about Joseph Smith, maybe becuase there is a scene in a movie about him where he is gathering maple during the winter with his brothers. We'll definately be back there next year.
haha I love Caleb's super cheesy smile. We told him to say "cheese" for the camera. He said "cheese please" and gave us this face.

sigh. NEXT YEAR's MY YEAR for the sugar shackin'! I missed it last year because I was 3 days post-partum, and this year (obviously) being in DC. But NEXT year, come hellorhighwater...we're going!
ReplyDelete